The Remote Site Network Monitoring Tutorial: An Introduction to the Essentials
You've just been put in charge of implementing a remote site monitoring system for your company. Where do you begin? How do you know which equipment you need? Do you know which features you must-have and which ones you don't? This tutorial will get you started in determining the system with the perfect fit - one that fits your needs without breaking the budget.
Examples of industries where remote network site monitoring soluations are applicable. Don't leave your valuable network or unfrastructure unmonitored.
First you need to survey where you are now
Do you already have some monitoring gear and you're looking to bring the system up to date or are you starting from scratch? Or maybe you just need to expand your present system to include more sites? Choosing the right remote network site monitoring system depends on your needs - there's no "one size fits all" solution. The first step is determining where you stand now.
What equipment are you monitoring?
A good vendor will have flexible options for providing you with the right system to monitor your equipment. When choosing the right system you should know the type of equipment you need to monitor, so you can make the right choice.
- Telecom and transport gear - such as switches, routers, SONET, fiber, microwave radios, server rooms, etc.
- Power supplies - commercial A/C, battery plants, rectifiers, generators, UPS systems, etc.
- Building and facility alarms - intrusion, entry, open door, fire, smoke, flooding, etc.
- Environmental conditions - temperature, humidity, water presence, flow rate, etc.
Here are some general principles for picking the right remote site network monitoring system
There are a few general things to keep in mind when doing your research to help pick the best and most flexible system.
- Be reasonably paranoid - You know how the saying goes: "better safe than sorry". Network outages can have crippling effects on your company, so always follow through if you suspect a problem at your remote site.
- More detail = less waste - Having the right system with the right amount of detail cuts out waste. Covering all of your bases lets you operate at maximum efficiency - so you know you're not wasting your time, money, or valuable resources. The right system will provide you with the detailed alarms you need to get the job done - and leave out the unneeded jargon.
- Buy upgradeable and scale up - Use a monitoring system that has room to grow. You never know what your company will need in the future - so always be prepared. Having a flexible system with room for upgrades, adjustments, and expansion allows you to maintain flexibility moving forward.
- Plan for the next five years - With a plan for the future you can select the right remote network site monitoring system now. Be prepared and forward-minded - so you're ready to tackle the challenges ahead of you.
- Consult with an expert - This tutorial is just the first step. In order to get the system with the perfect fit you should consult with an expert. An expert will be able to walk you through the steps and help you make the right choice. Monitoring your remote sites is serious, and takes a serious monitoring solution to be effective.
Get your Network Alarm Management White Paper today.
Now you've taken the first step...what's next?
Picking the right remote network site monitoring solution requires having all of the information, which is why I suggest downloading DPS Telecom's Network Alarm Monitoring White Paper. This guide is 100% free and gives you a solid introduction to the remote site monitoring essentials. This guide will show you:
- The remote terminal unit (RTU) features you must have to be effective
- RTUs that fit all of your needs and won't break your budget
- How to plan for future monitoring upgrades
Making the right choice doesn't have to be such a daunting task, so let the experts at DPS Telecom help you out - so call (1-800-693-0351) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). The DPS Telecom experts can answer your questions, concerns, and even provide you with a Return-on-Investment (ROI) analysis - just so you can see what you can save by setting up your remote network site monitoring solution. Don't wait; protect your network and remote sites today. Other Helpful Links Video: Remote Monitoring Overview Selecting a Remote Site Management System for Your Network Select Remote System Monitoring That's Right for You Remote Site Monitoring - protecting your telecom network Create a Thin Network Monitoring System for Quicker Easier Monitoring Network Management Selection If You Can Monitor This, You Can Monitor Anything Remote Monitoring Use an Air Flow Monitor to Keep Your Network Online and Your Customers Happy Monitoring BiDirectional Amp Alarms with an Alarm Point Conditioner How to Select a Network Performance Monitoring System Oil Pressure 10 Fast Ways to Maximize Your Monitoring Now How to Solve 5 of Your Toughest Monitoring Problems Simultaneous Local and Regional Monitoring Are You Trusting Embedded Alarm Systems to Monitor Your Sites? TechBits: 10 Quick FAQ's to Optimize Your Monitoring SFP Transceiver Micro-OTDR Improves Network Reliability Download FTTH Tutorial Tech Brief White Paper: Fiber Optic Network Monitoring Download VoIP Tech Brief Network Monitoring Program The 7 FAQ About Using a Server Room Monitor Wireless Monitoring: The 6 Essential Features New Product Announcement: The Critical Alarm Enunciator Provides Local and Regional Notification of Battery Plant Voltage Levels As an OEM, your customers deserve best-in-class monitoring when they buy your product... Telecom Psychic Network - It could cost YOU up to $100,000 per minute if you don't use it Strategic Sparing of Telemetry Gear Motion Alerts Can Protect Your Equipment - And Your Bottom Line Large Deployment that has to be done right the first time The Remote Site Network Monitoring Tutorial: An Introduction to the Essentials Applications Knowledge Base - Network Monitoring Task Guides Data Logger Knowledge Base 4 Serial Router Frequently Asked Questions How Trunked Radio Systems Are Beneficial Get a free pass to OSP Expo 2014 and visit DPS at Booth 711 winter_storm_press_release