In the perfect alarm system of your dreams, you'll have an alarm for every single factor that can affect network operations, but you'll never spend extra money on alarm capacity you don't need. In the real world, time and budget constraints usually mean you have to set priorities and carefully select which alarms you're going to monitor.
When you're choosing network elements to monitor, keep these three principles in mind:
1. Paranoia is your friend. Think about everything that can possibly go wrong, because - guaranteed - someday it will.
2. The more detailed your monitoring, the smaller your windshield time and repair costs. Precise diagnostics help you send the right tech with the right tools on the first site visit.
3. It's OK to start small and scale up. If you get an alarm system that can be upgraded, you can start monitoring your most critical network elements now, and gradually add more monitoring over several budget cycles.
4. Plan for your needs for the next five years. Your network and your monitoring needs will grow, and an alarm system that can't grow with them will be obsolete as soon as it's installed
How do you find the right RTU? Here's 5 essential features to look for ...
1. Discrete alarms: Monitor device failures, intrusion alarms, beacons, and flood and fire detectors.
2. Analog alarm inputs: Monitor voltage, temperature, humidity and pressure.
3. Ping alarms: Detect IP device failures and offlines .
4. Control relays: Operate remote site equipment directly from your NOC.
5. Terminal server functions: Control switches and other gear remotely via Telnet over LAN.
DPS Telecom offers RTUs that meet all these requirements - and offer local visibility via Web browser, email and pager notification, and more.
For more information about DPS RTUs, see us on the Web at www.dpstelecom.com/rtus..
You need to see DPS gear in action. Get a live demo with our engineers.
Download our free Monitoring Fundamentals Tutorial.
An introduction to Monitoring Fundamentals strictly from the perspective of telecom network alarm management.
Have a specific question? Ask our team of expert engineers and get a specific answer!
Sign up for the next DPS Factory Training!
Whether you're new to our equipment or you've used it for years, DPS factory training is the best way to get more from your monitoring.Reserve Your Seat Today